By Alicia Eisenbise, Social Media Specialist
Are you ready for the Oscars? We have some ideas to make your home Oscar party a hit this weekend.
Create a ballot and award the winner.
At my house, everything turns into a competition, which is why I love the idea of a ballot competition. You can create your own ballot or use this printable ballot. After the Oscars, tally up the winner and he/she gets their own lovely Ken doll Oscar award. This is one of my favorite ideas, spray an old Ken doll with gold paint with his arms held in the air and mount him on a hairspray lid.
Play off the movie titles, time periods or star’s names to create signature cocktails and food for your Academy Awards party.
- Captain Phillips and Coke – That pun was too easy and so is mixing the drink, all you need is: 1 1/2 oz Captain Morgan® Original spiced rum and 4 1/2 oz Coca-Cola®
- The American Hustle Disco Ball – This glittery concoction truly looks like it belongs in a disco with sparkling gold flecks: 1 ounce melon liqueur and 1 ounce Goldschlager cinnamon schnapps.
- The Great Gatsby Gin Ricky – Supposedly, Fitzgerald’s favorite drink, simply pour 1/2 lime, juiced with rind over ice in a tall glass, add 1 1/2 to 2 ounces gin then top it off with club soda.
- Disney Frozen Snow Cap Punch - This is a hit with big and little kids alike. I love how these look like a blue ocean with white ice cream icebergs (straight out of Disney’s Frozen.) So adorable.
Hand out your own awards.
The red carpet is always one of the best parts of the night (in my opinion). Why not keep the red carpet going? Create your own awards categories, like: best dressed, best hair, best comedy, best drama, best makeup, most likely to break out into an original score…the options are endless. Then award the winner with an envelope or certificate.
You can’t go wrong with a gold theme with red accents. Gold streamers and plates are generally easy to find at a party store. Use a red tablecloth as your own red carpet table runner. Old film negatives also make great wraps for candles and resembles movie film. Or dip candle holders in a bit of glue and cover in gold glitter for a sparkling candle holder.
What goes better with movies than popcorn? Grab popcorn bags or tubs from a party store and let your imagination run wild. You could simply make tubs of microwave popcorn and then set out toppings like gummy bears, chocolate candies, sprinkles, cinnamon and sugar, etc. Or you could create a gourmet buffet. Start with a plain popcorn then branch out to sweet and savory blends like: Oreo cookie popcorn, Buffalo popcorn, Peppery Garlic popcorn, or Carnival-worthy Carmel Corn.
I hope you can use some of these ideas to make your Academy Awards party special! And while you’re watching, Coldwell Banker will be making a special appearance after the red carpet in our #YourHome commercial. Tweet us using #YourHome and tell us what you think!
Latest posts by Blog Team (see all)
- Neighborhood Profile: Wheaton - 10/22/2014
- Neighborhood Profile: Shorewood - 10/09/2014
- Neighborhood Profile: Wynstone in North Barrington - 10/01/2014